Sandy oh Sandy. As I’m writing this the lightening is flashing and the thunder is booming outside my apartment. We were hit (more like open palmed slapped…half-heartedly) by Hurricane Sandy yesterday, and I figure this is some sort of aftershock-esque weather. I only had to work a half day at work because the T shut down at 2. But to be honest I was radiating with annoyance at having to go into work at all…there’s nothing I love better than a stormy day in my sweat pants. But whatever right? There are people with ACTUAL problems resulting from Sandy so I’ll stop being a jerk.
Anyways…I’ve been meaning to post this for like 2 weeks. So I’m sharing it with you now. A few weeks ago I busted out the ‘ole crockpot and whipped up some Beef Stew. As I’ve mentioned before in other posts I’m really not a soup person; it’s just not my jam generally. But I wanted to branch out and give it a go…partly because the weather turned arctic…remember that week? brrrrrr!
It’s actually really easy to put together and you don’t need any other pots or anything…it’s mostly just layering. Here’s how the magic happens: (recipe from Get Crocked)
Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 lbs. stew beef
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 4 lg. carrots, peeled & sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 lg. potatoes, peeled & chopped into chunks
- 1 c. condensed beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 1 lg. onion, sliced
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- Layer potatoes on the bottom of your crock pot.
- Next, layer carrots on top of potatoes.
- Place meat on top of carrots.
- Sprinkle meat with soy sauce, salt, paprika, pepper & flour.
- Layer chopped onions evenly on top of sauce/seasonings.
- Combine beef broth & tomato sauce and pour over everything in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 – 8 hrs. (or high 4 – 5 hrs. if pressed for time
Now I changed it up a bit to suit my tastes…I added canned corn and a sweet potato as well.